Living in Arizona, I miss the fall. I recently made something new, and it turned out to be just the scent that the doctor ordered! It is an alcohol-based infusion of lemon and grapefruit zests, strained into a spray bottle and topped off with grapefruit and clove oils. Here is how you can make some just in time for Thanksgiving.
- Grate the peels of one lemon and one grapefruit. Keep only the zest!
- Place zest in a glass mason jar and add 100-proof alcohol until it rises above the zest by a couple of inches.
- Let it sit for at least a few weeks. Because I was also moving during the infusion process, mine brewed in a windowsill for two and a half months. (It smelled incredible when I finally opened the jar!)
- Strain the liquid carefully by wrapping cheesecloth over the mouth of the jar. Pour this into a glass bottle with a sprayer top. Mine filled a two-ounce bottle.
- Add grapefruit and clove essential oils to the top of the bottle. I used 30 drops of grapefruit essential oil, and 6 drops of clove oil.